REGIONAL FOOD ASSISTANCE
- Grocery Stores with Dedicated Senior Shopping Hours – With the Phase 2 Reopening continuing, many area grocery stores are returning to their normal business hours. However, here is the list of stores who continue to offer early shopping hours for seniors and others at-risk.
- Capital Area Food Bank – To locate a food bank in your neighborhood, call the Hunger Lifeline at 202-644-9807. Bring a valid ID.
Childcare for Essential Personnel: The State of Maryland has been working with local YMCAs, Boys and Girls Clubs, Recreation Centers, and other facilities to provide capacity for more than 1,200 children of essential safety and healthcare personnel to receive childcare. The State is hoping to increase this capacity to 2,500 children. Essential personnel can call the State’s LOCATE Hotline to register for childcare at 1-877-261-0060.
MENTAL HEALTH ASSISTANCE
Experiencing a Mental Health Crisis?
In the event of a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1.
If you or a loved one are experiencing thoughts of suicide or having a mental health crisis, Mental Health specialists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide immediate assistance and referrals for long-term support.
- In Prince George’s County – Contact the Crisis Response System @ 301-429-2185
They can provide a comprehensive set of on-site and off-site mental health crisis response services and resources in Prince George’s County. For online resources, Click Here.
- In Montgomery County – Contact the Montgomery County Crisis Center @ 240-777-4000 or the Suicide Prevention Lifeline @ 1-800-273-8255. For online resources, Click Here.
- Listen to children and promote mutual respect and trust as part of building resiliency. Contact Children’s Mental Health Matters @ 443-901-1550.
- Maryland SNAP Benefits – For new applicants, please apply online at the MyDHR portal for the quickest turnaround, or call Maryland Hunger Solutions at 866-821-5552. You can check the status of an application at 1-800-332-6347. Current SNAP participants automatically received the maximum benefit allowed for your household size during April and May.
- Unemployment Claims – You can start your Maryland claim online or by phone. The Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance has call center hours from 7:30 am – 3:30 pm at 410-949-0022. Click here for helpful Q&A. Please call HIP’s counselors if you need HELP completing the online forms. Please NOTE: The $600.00 additional weekly payment provided by the Cares Act ended on July 31. Congress has not extended this Federal benefit. However, the State of Maryland announced will make available the extra $300 benefit payment authorized in late August by Executive Order, with certain restrictions.
- Election Day – Presidential General Election is Tuesday, Nov 3 – Voting in Maryland is being conducted by mail-in ballot and in-person. Early voting has also begun in Montgomery and Prince George’s County at several sites from, Monday, Oct. 26 thru Monday, Nov 2 from 7am – 8pm. #Vote2020 | For in-person locations, call the Prince George’s County Board of Elections at 301-341-7300, or the Montgomery County Board of Elections at 301-
- State Income Taxes – The MD state income tax filing deadline was extended until July 15th.
UNITED STATES CENSUS
The 2020 Census deadline was extended through October 15th for online completion and door-to-door census takers, and is now officially closed.
LOCAL NEWS UPDATES