HIP is OPEN for business and serving clients remotely. Let us help you!
Given the health risks of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we are taking precautions to protect the health and safety of our clients, staff, and community-at-large. While HIP is no longer hosting face-to-face meetings with clients or partners, staff continues to conduct counseling services and meetings remotely – via phone, email, and video.
Here’s How HIP’s Housing Counselors can help during COVID-19
HIP can assess your mortgage refinance options
HIP can negotiate with your lender to prevent mortgage default
HIP can provide accurate information regarding foreclosure suspension
HIP can assist to apply for Maryland’s Homeowner’s Tax Credit Program
HIP can provide accurate information regarding eviction process during Maryland’s state of emergency
HIP can connect you to emergency services programs to help cover housing costs and prevent evictions
HIP can minimize effects of loss of income on household budget by prioritizing expenses
HIP can assist to apply for Maryland’s Renter’s Tax Credit Program
HIP can help you negotiate with creditors
HIP can help you access emergency assistance programs for utilities and other essential services during the state of emergency
HIP can help you with tools and resources to stay afloat if you have lost income or employment
RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO MARYLAND RESIDENTS
PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY
- Emergency Rental Assistance – Effective May 11, for tenants in a financial crisis due to COVID-19, this Prince George’s County sponsored program provides temporary help with rent or utility payments, up to 3 months. If eligible, payment for arrears will be made directly to your landlord or utility provider. Get qualification info here and submit an intake form. Application period closed temporarily.
- COVID-19 Screening Facility in Cheverly – The Prince George’s County testing site was moved from FedEx Field to the Health Department’s Cheverly Clinic as of May 2nd. It is available by appointment only, for individuals who have a referral from their physician – please call the Dept of Social Services Hotline at 301-883-6627 BEFORE YOU SHOW UP THERE.
- Prince George’s County Health Department
- Alert Prince George’s Communication System
- Prince George’s County Public Schools and Lunch Locations – Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has announced that schools will remain closed through April 30. Schools continue to serve meals to students at designated sites.
- Employ Prince George’s – This nonprofit can provide job seeker information and help with filing for unemployment. Call 301-618-8445.
- COVID-19 Hourly Employee Relief Fund – Employ Prince Georges is also administering the Relief Fund, which gives $200.00 Visa cash cards to qualified applicants. Priority is given to unemployed workers who earned $19/hr or less prior to their layoff. Please check the website for program guidelines and complete the application – www.employpgedge.com
- Food Equity Council Resources
- Emergency Food & Diaper Distribution by SEED – Call 301-458-9808 x102 or email: email@example.com
- Montgomery County Public Schools and Lunch Locations – Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has announced that schools will remain closed through April 24. Schools continue to serve meals to students at designated sites.
- Montgomery County Food Council – Provides information on the location, hours, and eligibility guidelines of more than 100 sites where residents can access food and benefits application assistance.
- Manna Food Center – County residency eligibility applies, call 301-424-1130
- Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services
- DHHS Emergency Eviction Prevention
- COVID-19 Closures and Service Modifications in Montgomery County
REGIONAL FOOD ASSISTANCE
- Grocery Stores with Dedicated Senior Shopping Hours – Here’s the list of area stores implementing early shopping hours for seniors and others at-risk.
- Capital Area Food Bank – To locate a food bank in your neighborhood, call the Hunger Lifeline at 202-644-9807. Bring a valid ID.
- Washington Gas
- Comcast – To remain connected, ask if you qualify for Internet Essentials for low-income households
- WSSC Water
Childcare for Essential Personnel: The State of Maryland has been working with local YMCAs, Boys and Girls Clubs, Recreation Centers, and other facilities to provide capacity for more than 1,200 children of essential safety and healthcare personnel to receive childcare. The State is hoping to increase this capacity to 2,500 children. Essential personnel can call the State’s LOCATE Hotline to register for childcare at 1-877-261-0060.
- Maryland Governor’s State Response
- Maryland Department of Health Update
- Maryland Health Connection – Coronavirus Emergency launches one-month special enrollment period through April 15, 2020
MENTAL HEALTH ASSISTANCE
Experiencing a Mental Health Crisis?
In the event of a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1.
If you or a loved one are experiencing thoughts of suicide or a mental health crisis, Mental Health specialists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide immediate assistance and referrals for long-term support.
- In Prince George’s County – Contact the Crisis Response System @ 301-429-2185
They can provide a comprehensive set of on-site and off-site mental health crisis response services and resources in Prince George’s County. For online resources, Click Here.
- In Montgomery County – Contact the Montgomery County Crisis Center @ 240-777-4000 or the Suicide Prevention Lifeline @ 1-800-273-8255. For online resources, Click Here.
- Unemployment Claims – You can start your Maryland claim online or by phone. The Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance has call center hours from 7:30am – 3:30pm at 410-949-0022. Click here for helpful Q&A. Please call HIP’s counselors if you need HELP completing the online forms.
- Maryland Presidential Primaries – Voting in Maryland moved to June 2, 2020
- State Income Taxes – The MD state income tax filing deadline has been extended until July 15th
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Federal Income Taxes – The federal IRS filing deadline has been extended until July 15th
- Small Businesses Assistance
- Social Security Administration Services
- CARES Act, Coronavirus Relief Checks – IRS has launched an App and website for consumers to track their $1,200 Stimulus payment and provide direct deposit info. Make sure you have your ID and income tax info available.
UNITED STATES CENSUS
The 2020 Census deadline has been extended through mid August. The official Census Bureau mailing includes detailed information and a Census ID for completing the Census online. You may complete your form by mail, online, or by phone. Please call HIP’s counselors if you need HELP with completing the online form or paper form.