HAF – Homeowner Assistance Fund – Homeowners who are experiencing a financial hardship during the Covid pandemic may be eligible for assistance to avoid eviction and foreclosure from the Maryland Dept. of Housing & Community Development.
The HAF grant offers assistance up to $20,000 and does not require repayment. Meanwhile, the HAF loan offers assistance up to $40,000 and will require repayment. Homeowners must live in the home as their primary residence.
Please contact HIP’s bilingual, certified housing counselors at 301-916-5946
We can check your eligibility to apply, and help you with contacting your mortgage servicer.
Covid Rent Relief Program, Round 4 is Open – Montgomery County’s Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) portal has reopened for new applications as of Wednesday, July 26, 2022. HIP’s bilingual, certified housing counselors are available to help with applications.
- Montgomery County residents may be eligible for assistance up to $12,000 – minus any previous Covid Relief awarded during Phases 2 – 3 in 2020-2021.
- Having a social security number is not required. You will not be asked about your status.
Click the links below:
YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE IF YOU:
- have experienced a documented COVID‐19-related financial hardship
- have a household gross income at or below 50% of Area Median Income, based on either your 2020 or 2021 tax return or the previous 30 days,
- have resided in Montgomery County since at least August 2021
- have an obligation to pay rent, formally or informally, and
- are behind on your rental obligation by at least 2 months.
HIP’s certified housing counselors can assist you in submitting your documents and completing the application either in-person or virtually – Please call HIP at 301-916-5946 to schedule an appointment.
EVICTION PREVENTION – Know Your Rights as a Tenant
- The Covid Rent Relief funds will be prioritized based on need.
- Please attend all scheduled hearings in Landlord-Tenant Court. We can refer you to an attorney for free assistance.
- If you receive a Red & White notice on your door from the County Sheriff, please call 3-1-1 immediately to be connected to DHHS.
DHHS Emergency Eviction-Relocation Assistance – If you are have received an eviction notice on your door from the Montgomery County Sheriff, please dial 3-1-1 and ask for the Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS). Help may be available to cover relocation expenses and first month’s rent/deposit.
FEMA BURIAL ASSISTANCE REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM
- Burial Assistance Program – Grants to help pay for burial costs are available through Housing Stabilization Services. Household income must be below 60% of Area Median Income, and must meet additional eligibility criteria to receive a grant of $650. Please contact the Department of Health & Human Services by dialing 3-1-1.
- FEMA is also offering a federal Burial Assistance Reimbursement Program that provides up to $9K reimbursement for funeral, interment & cremation expenses for COVID-19 related deaths that occurred after Jan. 20, 2020.
Montgomery County is encouraging all residents ages 5 and over to be vaccinated and boosted, where eligible. Masks and face coverings are encouraged, but no longer required to be worn indoors. This may change depending on the County’s Covid risk level which is updated frequently.
For the latest info about vaccinations, click below:
For a list of Testing Sites, please call the Testing Helpline at 240-777-1755 – Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., seven days a week.
Daily updates about the county’s response is available:
PUBLIC SCHOOLS —
Montgomery County Public Schools – MCPS Schools plans to be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2022-2023 School Year, which begins in late August for traditional schools. Learn more
Critical services are also available to help your family through the pandemic:
- Montgomery County Food Council – Provides information on the location, hours, and eligibility guidelines of more than 100 sites where residents can access food and benefits application assistance.
- Manna Food Center – County residency eligibility applies, call 301-424-1130. Manna can arrange drop-off service for seniors and residents with disabilities who are not able to pick up food items at their food pantry sites.
Public Libraries and Senior Centers have Reopened —
Montgomery County has announced the reopening of several libraries and senior centers across the county for limited hours and public access. Masks are encouraged, but not required. Click here for a list of locations and their status.