HAF – Homeowner Assistance Fund – Homeowners who are experiencing a financial hardship during the Covid pandemic may be eligible for assistance to avoid eviction and foreclosure from the Maryland Dept. of Housing & Community Development.
The HAF grant offers assistance up to $20,000 and does not require repayment. Meanwhile, the HAF loan offers assistance up to $40,000 and will require repayment. Homeowners must live in the home as their primary residence.
Please contact HIP’s bilingual, certified housing counselors at 301-916-5946
We can check your eligibility to apply, and help you with contacting your mortgage servicer.
Covid Rent Relief Program, Round 4 Closed on January 13, 2023.
Montgomery County’s Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) portal is no longer open for new applications. If you submitted an application during 2022 with HIP’s assistance and have a question about eligibility, please contact our office – 301-916-5946. HIP’s housing counselors are available to help you.
- Montgomery County residents were eligible for assistance up to $12,000 – minus any previous Covid Relief awarded during Phases 2 – 3 in 2020-2021.
- Having a social security number is not required. You will not be asked about your status.
Click the links below:
YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE IF YOU:
- have experienced a documented COVID‐19-related financial hardship
- have a household gross income at or below 50% of Area Median Income, based on either your 2020 or 2021 tax return or the previous 30 days,
- have resided in Montgomery County since at least August 2021
- have an obligation to pay rent, formally or informally, and
- are behind on your rental obligation by at least 2 months.
HIP’s certified housing counselors can assist you in submitting your documents and completing the application either in-person or virtually – Please call HIP at 301-916-5946 to schedule an appointment.
EVICTION PREVENTION – Know Your Rights as a Tenant
- The Covid Rent Relief funds will be prioritized based on need.
- Please attend all scheduled hearings in Landlord-Tenant Court. We can refer you to an attorney for free assistance.
- If you receive a Red & White notice on your door from the County Sheriff, please call 3-1-1 immediately to be connected to DHHS.
DHHS Emergency Eviction-Relocation Assistance – If you have received an eviction notice on your door from the Montgomery County Sheriff, please dial 3-1-1 and ask for the Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS). Help may be available to cover relocation expenses and first month’s rent/deposit.
FEMA BURIAL ASSISTANCE REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM
- Burial Assistance Program – Grants to help pay for burial costs are available through Housing Stabilization Services. Household income must be below 60% of Area Median Income, and must meet additional eligibility criteria to receive a grant of $650. Please contact the Department of Health & Human Services by dialing 3-1-1.
- FEMA is also offering a federal Burial Assistance Reimbursement Program that provides up to $9K reimbursement for funeral, interment & cremation expenses for COVID-19 related deaths that occurred after Jan. 20, 2020.