HIP has played a role in the development of over 250 units of affordable rental housing in the Greater Washington DC area. For some projects we have been the sole developer/general partner. In others, HIP has acted as a development partner or consultant. We bring to all of our projects a tenacity to work through the toughest problems, the ability to inspire teamwork, and our great attention to detail.
HIP is both a 501(c)(3) and Community Housing and Development Organization (CHDO) in Prince George’s County, which allows us to benefit from the numerous affordable housing funding sources that give priority to these types of organizations. Our experience with funding sources extends to:
- Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC)
- HUD Economic Development Initiative
- MD Rental Housing Production Program (RHPP)
- MD Partnership Rental Housing
- MD Community Legacy
- MD State Bond Bill
- FHLB Affordable Housing Program (AHP)
- Maryland Energy Administration energy grants
Since the early 2000’s, HIP has taken great care to make design and construction choices that reduce our buildings’ impact on the environment. HIP’s Artists’ Housing in Mount Rainier has one of the first green roofs in the Washington DC area. Other green features we’ve incorporated into our housing include:
- Increased insulation in walls and ceilings (not sexy, but very good for energy efficiency!);
- Double pane, low-e, argon filled windows;
- Low-VOC paint and adhesives;
- Fiber cement exterior siding instead of vinyl siding;
- Solar hot water heating;
- Tankless hot water heaters;
- Dual-flush toilets;
- Concrete floors with eco-stain;
- Linoleum floors;
- Recycled glass tiles and accents;
- Bathroom tile made of recycled windshields.
A complete list of projects developed by HIP can be found in the downloadable PDF HIP Qualifications. For more information about HIP’s Multifamily Development program, please contact Stephanie Proestel at 301-699-3870.